Closed & Open Cell Sponge Rubber Gaskets
At Automated Gasket Corporation, we specialize in sponge rubber gasket fabrication. We have years of experience working with a wide variety of OEM customers to manufacture custom sealing solutions. Our extensive knowledge, dedication to precision, and outstanding customer service are just some of the many benefits of choosing us as your open and closed cell sponge rubber gasket manufacturer. We also pride ourselves on our ability to complete your gaskets quickly! Our on-site prototyping services enable us to produce your sample within 48 hours of your request, as long as material is available.
For effective sponge rubber gaskets from a dependable, ISO-certified manufacturer, contact us today!
Sponge Rubber Gasket Material
Sponge rubber materials contain interconnected pockets that either hold air or permit its passage. This type of gasket material is resilient and retains flexibility in low temperatures. It provides great sealing, insulation, cushioning, shock absorption, vibration dampening, weather stripping, flame resistance, and soundproofing. It also has a resistance to acids and bases, light oil contact, ozone, oxidation, moisture, and some sunlight.
Sponge rubber gaskets are made of materials with either open cells or closed cells:
Open Cell Sponge Rubber
Open cell sponge rubber contains open and interconnected pockets that permit the passage of fluids (including air) when the gasket is not compressed. Most open cell sponge is natural rubber and is a great cushioning material that can compress and recover quickly. It has low pressure sealing against gases and is weather resistant.
Common open cell sponge rubber gasket materials include:
- Natural Open Cell Sponge – excellent for cushioning applications as well as applications that require a skid-resistant surface; can handle temperatures ranging from -40 degrees F to 160 degrees F
- Open Cell Neoprene Sponge – has all the same features as the natural open cell sponge and particularly works well in applications that come in contact with petroleum-based products
- Open Cell EPDM Sponge – commonly used for prolonged outdoor applications due to its ability to resist sunlight, UV, and other elements; is compressible and extremely soft, which allows for outstanding flexibility and recovery following compression
Closed Cell Sponge Rubber
Closed cell sponge rubber is technically referred to as expanded rubber. Most closed cell sponge is neoprene or neoprene blend and is an ideal medium for protection in uses to prevent water or air from passing from one area to another at low pressures. It has high flexibility and compression capabilities and can conform to and seal most surfaces.
Common closed cell sponge rubber gasket materials include:
- Closed Cell Neoprene Sponge (100% Neoprene Sponge) – resists light oil contact, ozone, alkalis, and acids; is a good choice for general enclosure door gaskets; can withstand temperatures ranging from -40 degrees F to 200 degrees F; meets UL 94 HF-1 flame rating
- Closed Cell Blended Sponge (Neoprene/EPDM/SBR Blend) – most often used for general purpose sponge gaskets; meets UL 94 HF-1 and can withstand -70 degrees F without cracking due to superior cold resistance
- Closed Cell EPDM Sponge – used most often with outdoor conditions such as water, ozone, and indirect sunlight
- Closed Cell Nitrile (Buna-N) Sponge – excellent for sealing applications that require oil and UV resistance; resistant to vegetable oil, animal oil, and mineral oil, gasoline, diesel, and other aliphatic and aromatic hydrocarbons; can handle temperatures ranging from -40 degrees F to +200 degrees F
- Closed Cell ECH (Epichlorohydrin) Sponge – used most often for automotive gasket applications due to its ability to handle continuous temperatures of 300 degrees F and light oil and fuel contact; has very good resistance to weather, ozone, sunlight, and oxidation; is resistant to extreme temperatures; has high-temperature stability; offers a good compression set
- Closed Cell Viton® Sponge – highly compressible, resilient, lightweight, and provides good thermal insulation; is generally resistant to aliphatic and aromatic hydrocarbons, oils, acids, hot water, fuels, ozone, lubricants, and animal or vegetable oils; can handle temperatures ranging from -10 degrees F to 400 degrees F
Custom Open & Closed Cell Sponge Rubber Gaskets
Automated Gasket Corporation’s custom sponge rubber gaskets are utilized in a variety of industries including appliance, automotive, construction, sports equipment, electrical enclosures, HVAC, marine, and lighting, among others. We know that no two applications are the same and selecting the right sealing material is important. There are very few applications our knowledgeable team isn’t familiar with. We can assist you in determining which sponge rubber material will perform best in your unique application.
Our made-to-order gasket process is simple. Send us your CAD file, detailed drawing, or gasket photo, and we will manufacture your custom gasket to fit your specifications. Our in-house tooling, prototyping capabilities, and raw material buying power allow for efficient custom sponge rubber gasket fabrication that yields the best results for your project. Our team can typically produce your sample within 48 hours of your request, as long as materials are available.
Experienced Sponge Rubber Gasket Manufacturer
We can make the custom gasket process easier for you! The knowledgeable team at Automated Gasket can produce custom gaskets for your equipment in a timely manner and assist you from start to finish. For reliable custom gasket solutions, contact us today!
Contact Us for all Your Custom Rubber and Gasket Needs
Toll Free: 800.325.9972